Places to Visit in Munnar
Munnar, the most visited place by tourist from across the world is has gained a tremendous popularity than any other place in India. It is famous for its magnificent beauty of tea gardens, hill stations, mountains, foods, and most importantly its Ayurveda therapy and spa. Explore this beautiful, amazing, heavenly and greenery packed destination on your upcoming holidays. We have different packages available for our customers. You just have to make the plan and provide us your details about the holidays; we will design your trip excellently as per your details. You can also customize your trip. Apart from that, there are plethora of packages available for the customers. Choose any one plan and customize as per your convenient.
Make a Plan – Personalise – Customize – Book – Enjoy
Jaw Dropping God’s Own Country Munnar at a Glance
Munnar being a part of Kerala is one of the most beautiful places to visit. It has beautiful Ghats, landscapes, tea gardens, waterfalls, and many more. People from across the globe dreams of visiting Munnar once a while in their life. Just imagine looking at the pictures of the place, we decide to pay a visit and spend our holidays, but just imagine how beautiful the place would be in reality. It is just awesome. The place has heavenly beauty shades. Plan for a visit and enjoy the heavenly beauty of the place.
Is Munnar your Next Holiday Destination?
Have you decided to visit Munnar on your coming vacation? Well, you have chosen the right place. This is the best place to spend your holidays with your family, friends, groups, or a honeymoon visit. You will have a great time enjoying the heavenly beauty. We will guide you; offer you the trip details, timings, places to visit in Munnar and more.
Now Let’s Know the Important Things before Visiting Munnar
Best Time to Visit
- The best time to visit Munnar in winter season is from December to February.
- And, during the summer days, the best time to visit is from March to May/June/ September.
Modes of Transportation to reach Munnar
There are three options available to reach the beautiful Munnar.
- Fly in the air (By Air): You can reach Munnar y booking a flight to Cochin International Airport. Munnar is bit far from the airport. Catch a cab and reach the destined place.
- Book a Train: Wherever you are in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Trivandrum, Chennai, or Bangalore, you can easily book a train and reach Munnar. The nearest railway station to Munnar is Kochi or Ernakulum.
- Roadways – You can also reach Munnar riding your vehicle or by public transport.
Let’s Know the Name of the Places to Visit in Munnar
- Anamudi Peak –
It is the highest peak in the Western Ghats and South India. It is at an elevation of 2,695 metres, and a topographic prominence of 2,479 metres. Just imagine how beautiful and captivating it would be. It is considered as the pride of Kerala. It is believed that the mountain has the largest numbers of Asian elephants, Gaurs and the Nilgiri Tahrs. So, the name Anamudi literally means “Elephants Foreheads”. The view is just amazing from the top of the mountain. You can plan for a trekking in the Anamudi peak. Do not forget to capture the moment.
- Echo Point:
Can you make a guess? Why the place is named as Echo Point? Well, it is quite exciting. The place has a natural echo phenomenon. So, never forget to hear the echo sound of your voice.
Echo point is located on the way to Top Station from Munnar. To reach the place, you have to get into the nearest railway station Changanacherry, 93 km and Aluva 108 km from Munnar. The nearest airport to reach Echo Point is Cochin International Airport, about 115 km, Madurai in Tamil Nadu, about 140 km.
Highlights of Echo Point
- Take a Boat ride
- A perfect picnic spot
- Breath the fresh air of the area
- Get the chance to see the rare neelakurinji (strobilanthes) that blooms only here.
- The amazing chirping of birds
- Green tea gardens, spices, and coffee gardens are the other highlights of the place.
- The Famous Waterfalls: Munnar is famous for its amazing waterfalls. Some of the famous waterfalls in Munnar are – Lakkam waterfalls, Attukal waterfalls, Nyayamakad waterfalls, Chinnakkal waterfalls, Kuthumkal waterfalls, Cheeyappara waterfalls, Valara waterfalls, Thoovanam waterfalls.
- Lakkam waterfalls
This famous waterfall is few minutes from the town of Munnar. Vaga trees surround the amazing waterfall in a very beautiful way. Just omagine how beautiful it is.
- Attukal waterfalls
The waterfall comes on the way to Pallivasal. It is only 7 minutes from Munnar. It is one of the most vested places during rainy days.
- Nyayamakad waterfalls –
Nyayamakad is located between Munnar and Rajamala. It is an amazing picnic place for tourist, trekking place and best for photography. Best time to visit the place is after Monsoon season.
- Chinnakkal waterfalls –
Chinnakkal is a perfect must watch waterfall destination as it is wrapped with beautiful and green forest and mountains. Go green and enjoy the waterfall.
- Kuthumkal waterfalls –
Another amazing waterfall destination is Kuthumkal. The waterfall is 24 km away from Munnar and 6 km away from Rajakkad. It is a perfect picnic spot for tourist.
- Cheeyappara waterfalls –
Located in Kochi Madurai highway between Neriamangalam and Adimali in Idukki district, Cheeyappara is an amazing destination for picnic spots and photography. The scenic beauty of the place will give you a mesmerising feeling.
- Valara waterfalls – The waterfall is around 42 Km away from the Munnar town. A great water layer falling from the lush green forest will give you a spellbound memory.
- Thoovanam waterfalls –
The waterfall is inside the Chinnar wildlife sanctuary. The waterfall is from River Pambar. Trekking and picnic spot are the highlights to do in the waterfall.
- Kundala LakeKundala is a beautiful arch shape artificial dam, which is about 20 km from Munnar on the way to Top Station. You will get the chance to see the amazing and beautiful Cheery blossom. The famous Neela Kurunji flowers bloom in the hills and valleys around Kundala Lake. The main point here is that the flower bloom once in twelve years. You will enjoy your holidays to the heights here. Pedal boats, Kashmiri shikkara and rowboats are easily available in the lake. Tourist can have lots of fun. The lake has easy communication from one place to another by road transport, buses and taxis. Some of the kids attractions are also available in the place like balloon shooting games, horse riding and much more.
- Top Station:
Top Station is located in the Kannan Devan hills of Munnar. It is 32 away from the Munnar town. The main highlights of Top Station is the blooming of Neela kurinji flowers. The clouds in the sky will give you a heaven like feel in Top Station. You can get a panoramic view of the Western Ghats and the valley of Theni district. The place is perfect for trekking, camping, and to see the famous Neela kurinji flowers. (The flower bloom once in twelve years and 2018 is the year it will bloom). Don’t miss the chance to pay a visit to Top Station.
Pallivasal is a village in Idukki district in Kerala. The first hydroelectric project in Kerala was established at Pallivasal. It is one of the prime tourist destinations in Munnar. It is 8 Km away from Munnar. Green heavy plantaions of trees gives the best beauty to the place. It is one of the peaceful places in Munnar. Whether it is a family, friends, or group tours you can have fun, relax and make memories. Click photos and make your memories lively in your future days.
- Tree House Stay:
Do stay in the house made in the top of a tree which is available in almost all the places in Munnar. Form the top, you will experience an amazing view. You will get private rooms, eco-friendly, and beautiful. Whether you are coming with your family, friends, or a honeymoon stay, its available for all. Staying in a tree top house will give you a heavenly feel enjoying nature. Some of the famous tree houses are: Dream Catcher Resort Tree House, Jungle Jive Tree House, Misty Munnar Tree House, and many more.
- CSI Church: Tourist who come to Munnar never miss a chance to visit the prominent CSI Church. The Church is the oldest church in Munnar. It was built in 1910 by the Scottish tea estate people. The most important things to see in the Church is its amazing architect, which includes stained glass windows, brass plaques, benches made of rosewood and the chandeliers. If you have a keen craze to know about the history of the place, this is the perfect destination. The physical location of CSI Church is KDHP Munnar, Kochi – Madurai – Dhanushkodi Rd, Moolakadai, Munnar, Kerala 685612, India.
- Beautiful Rose Garden:
Now I can say the name itself speaks its beauty. Nature lovers, this is the best destination to spent your days in Munnar. The place is beautifully decorated with various coloured roses, spices, fruits trees and many more. It is said as the flower room of Munnar. You can spend your holidays in a very relax and happy mood in the Rose Garden. You can find everything in the Garden. From fresh vegetables to flowers to fresh coffee. You will get a total family ambience in the hotel rooms; it is an open space to give you a home like feeling. It has total 5 rooms for tourist. Photography is a best option in the Rose Garden.
- Mattupetty Dam
Mattupetty Dam is a water conservation and water sports hub located near Munnar in Idukki District. The dam lies in the hills of Munnar near to the Anamudi peak. The biggest reason behind building the dam is that it provides electricity in Munnar. It generates electricity. In the dam, you can have a speed boating activities with your members. You can also trek in the Shola forest near the dam.
- Chinnakanal: Chinnakanal is a small village in Idukki District, which is full of natural beauty, and tourist from various parts of the world loved this place. It is 20 Km far from the Munnar town. The best things to do in Chinnakanal are trekking, playing in the falls, photography, and much more. The waterfalls in the place are popularly known as the Power House Waterfalls. You can have a comfortable, affordable and lovely holiday if you visit Chinnakanal once. There are also various hotels and resort near by Chinnakanal.
- Eravikulam National Park:
Eravikulam National Park is known as the home for the Nilgiri Tahr. You will also find several other species of rare animals, birds and butterflies. From there, you can have a panoramic view of the tea gardens. The famous lowers that blooms only once in twelve years, i.e. the Neelakurinji. The park is wrapped with green forest which gives an amazing natural beauty to the park. For your knowledge, let’s tell you about the species found in the Park. There are around twenty-six species of mammals recorded in this national park. It has and population of 750 Nilgiri Tahr. Gaur, Indian Muntjac, Sambar Deer, Nilgiri langur, Indian Porcupine, Nilgiri Marten, clawed otter and elephants are the species found in the park. From the month of June to August, you will witness heavy rainfall.
- Elephant Lake:
Elephant Lake is a perfect destination in Munnar for picnics. The small lake is surrounded by green forest, which gives am amazing view. The tourist het thrilled viewing the place. The water in the lake gives a cool breeze to the tourist and feel the coolness playing with water. The lake is also known as the Anayirangal or Elephant Arrival Lake. Elephants from the forests come to the lake to drink water and that moments gives an amazing enjoyment to the tourist to capture some memories of their trip. Elephant Lake is also one of the greatest kid’s attractions. Never forget to ride the elephant with your kids and do capture the moment.
- Carmelagiri Elephant Park: Here you can experience the exciting ride of an elephant. There will be guides following you with the elephant. The elephants will take you through the beautiful forest and park to have the view of the place. Whether you are coming with your families or friends, you will experience a great time with them. They are well-trained and the elephant guide will help you in introducing you the places and will also tell you the importance of that particular area. They are also very friendly. You can easily talk and be friendly with the guide. The park is just 15 minutes from the Munnar town. Enjoy the up and down hilly valley on the back of the giant elephant.
- Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary, Munnar: Located in Munnar – Udumalpet Road, Munnar, Kerala, Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary is in the Idukki district of Kerala. It is in the eastern slope of Western Ghats, adjoining Tamilnadu. It is wrapped with the best cultural heritage. The place has also various medicinal plants. Apart from that, you will find various birds and animals like squirrel, star tortoise, grey langur, gaur, spotted deer, slender loris, wild elephant, crocodile, tiger, leopard and different types of birds, insects and plants. Tourist come to this place for trekking and for your information, keep a note that, Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary is well known for its eco-tourism trekking activities organised by the Forest Department and the Eco development Committee of the Sanctuary.
- Tea Museum, Munnar:
Munnar Tea Museum is an industry and historic museum situated in Munnar in Idukki district of Kerala. In the place, you will be taken to the documentary room to see the process and history of the tea garden. There are various tea stalls available on the museum. If you want to buy any type of tea, buy and experience it after. You will also able to see the processing of tea from the fresh tealeaves.
- Mount Carmel Church, Munnar: Mount Carmel Church is one of the tourist most visited religious place. The Church is the first Catholic Church in that particular region. Pay a visit to the place. The timings for the visit are mentioned below.
Holy Mass Timings
- 07:30 am on Weekdays
- 07:30 am and 04:30 pm on Saturday
- 07:30 am, 09:30 am and 04:00 pm on Sunday
- The Church is open in all days.
- Pothamedu Viewpoint: Pothamedu Viewpoint is situated around 5 Km away from the Munnar town. The viewpoint is an array of coffee, tea and cardamom plantation. It has tremendous natural scenes. Pothamedu gives a panoramic view of the valley and river Muthirapuzha. In this point, you can opt for hiking and trekking activities. Capture each and every moment captured in the place. It will give you an amazing and lifetime of experience and memories to cherish. The best time to visit he place is from November to February. Go adventurous with Pothamedu Viewpoint.
- Floriculture Centre: Floriculture Centre in Munnar is a prominent and less visited place, as it is less known to people. The place is wrapped with immense beauty of flowers and greenery. The gardens have rare types of flowers and herbal plants. The garden has also different tea plantations.
- Address of the place: KDHP Munnar, Munnar Colony Rd, Silent Valley, Munnar, Kerala 685612, India
- Photo Point: Photo point is 3 kms far from Munnar Twon which is on the way to Mattupetty. It has dense tea plantations, woods and small rivulets and hills. This makes the place the best photo point for the tourist. The photography in this place will give you an amazing natural scenic beauty. Near to the Photo Point, there are various shops from where tourist can buy any homemade chocolates, Tea, coffee, spices and many more. Photo Point is also one of the best picnic spots for tourists.
- Punarjani Traditional Village: It is a traditional Marital Art show. Pay a visit to the place to have the traditional and famous kathakali dance. Kalaripayattu is also shown in the show.
- Addrress: Pallivasal Rd, Pallivasal, Kerala 685565, India
Are you a Foodie? Try the Delicacies of Munnar, kerala
Some of the famous food available in Munnar and you must give a try to the items. Don’t miss to eat the delicacies. Apart from western and continental foods, try the local and lip smacking street foods and top cuisines.
- Famous dosa and idlies
- Appams with stew
- Kairali thali which is served on a banana leaf with pachadi (salad), elaneer payasam or tender coconut kheer, mezhukkupurattai or mixed vegetable stir fry, mixed vegetable thoran, puli enji, rice with sambhar and rasam.
- Malabar parotta and rice
- Kerala fish curry
- Puttu and Kadala Curry
- Idiyappam with Egg Curry
- Nadan Kozhi Varuthathu (Spicy Chicken Fry)
- Kerala Prawn Curry
- Duck Curry
- Ari pathri and chicken curry
- Pazham Pori
Best Food Places in Munnar
If you are visiting Munnar and you have not tried the famous Keralite dishes mentioned above, your trip is incomplete. Try the varieties of foods in the Munnar. Here we are listing the names of the best restaurants to pay a visit.
- Saravana Bhavan
- Rapsy Restaurant
- Al Buhari
- Hotel SN
- Hotel Sri Nivas
- Guru’s Restaurant
- Copper Castle – Restaurant
- KTDC Tea County Restaurant
- Silver Spoon
- Tree Top Restaurant
- Mezbaan Hotel
- Bamboo Hut
Tips for easy, happy, and Adventurous Holiday in Munnar
- Do carry trekking and camping stuffs along with you.
- Carry warm clothes along with you.
- Carry a camera for capturing your golden memories.
Wish you a very happy and an adventurous stay at Munnar. Do share your experiences with us. Get all the experiences and collect your memories to cherish forever.