Places to visit in Alleppey
Alleppey, alias Alappuzha is a city situated on the Laccadive Sea in the southern part of India in the state of Kerala. Alleppey is one of the favourite and frequently visited tourist destinations in Kerala. The place is famous for its houseboat cruises, beautiful beaches, canals, lagoons, and the famous annual event Punnamada Lake’s snake boat race. Alleppey is blessed with amazing flora and fauna, coconut, palms, green paddy fields, backwaters and more. If we look back to the 3rd Century BC – 4th Century AD, Alleppey was a cultural destination in Kerala since then. It has a rich culture and heritage.
The place seems to be really beautiful and amazing. Make your plan and we will help you finds all the tours and activities, sightseeing and more to make your holiday unforgettable. Don’t miss the chance to have a glimpse of the mesmerising beauty of Alleppey.
Alleppey at a Glance
Famous For – Backwaters, Beaches
District – Alappuzha
Altitude – Sea level
Best Season to Visit – September – March
Weather – Summer 20 to 36°C, Winter 16 to 32°C
Modes of Transportation to reach Alleppey
Reach Alleppey by these three modes of transportation.
- By Air
The Cochin International Airport is the nearest airport to Allepey about located at a distance of 75 Km. It connects to all the major cities Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Pune and Hyderabad.
- By Road
You can take the 66 National Highway. Air-conditioned buses are available from Chennai, Mysore, Bangalore and Coimbatore to Alleppey.
- By Train
The Alleppey Railway Station is 4 km away from the city centre and connects Alleppey to all the major cities like Trivandrum, Cochin, Vellore, Coimbatore, Chennai, Delhi, and Mumbai.
Is your Holidays Coming up Next? Plan for Alleppey – the Venice of the East
Our main priority is to satisfy our smart and handsome couples, families, groups, and all the valuable customers who are dreaming of visiting Alleppey. Here is the list of attractions in Alleppey that is must to pay a visit.
- Explore the Gorgeous Beaches in Alleppey:
Refresh your mind visiting the clean and beautiful beaches in Alleppey. Here is the list of beaches in Alleppey that our visitors will love to make a memory.
- Alleppey Beach:
Alleppey Beach, which is also known as the Alappuzha Beach, is famous for its amazing breath-taking beauty with a long coastline. The beach is surrounded by palm trees, an ancient lighthouse, green and flourishing garden in the shore and more. Walk in the white sand of Alleppey and you will be mesmerised by the natural scenic beauty of the beach. You will get to view the fishing techniques by the local people. There is also a garden beside the beach named as “Amaze World”, which is especially for kids. They can have fun out there.
“Sing, dance and have fun with the crystal clear waves of the sea water”
Things you will get near the beach
- Coconut water
- Famous street foods of Kerala
- Local vendors sell or rent umbrella to beat the hit of the scorching sun.
- You will also find many things in the shops near to the beach
- Vijay Park is near to the beach. You can spend some good times with your loved ones.
Address of Alleppey Beach: Alleppey is very near to Alappuzha railway station in Alleppey District, Alappuzha 688007, India.
Marari Beach is another beautiful beach located in Alappuzha District of Kerala and is 11 Km from Allepey/Alappuzha town of Maraikulam. This small, clean and tidy beach is one of the best picnic spots for visitors who come from across the globe. Tourist can have an amazing time in the beach.
Things you will get near the beach
- Home-stay accommodation
- Swimming clothes and more
- Local Snacks and toys
Address of Marari Beach: Alappuzha-Arthunkal-Chellanam- Thoppumpady Rd, Mararikulam, Alappuzha, Kerala 688523, India
- Visit the Cool, Calm and Serene Alleppey Backwaters:
Your dream of sailing through the backwaters with your loved one will be fulfilled in Aelleppy right here. The jaw dropping beauty of the place will give you a memory for lifelong. You will get to see the village life of people staying right there, their living style, their culture and more. You can book a houseboat and enjoy the serene beauty of the still water. Apart from that, enjoy the lip-smacking food inside the houseboat. The backwaters re surrounded by long coconut trees, flowers and more. This backwater attracts array of tourist from across the world.
You can try the houseboats and shikara ride in Alleppey. Check Alleppey shikara boat booking
Highlights of the place
- Snake boat races and the houseboat cruises
- Stay and enjoy the backwater trip on a houseboat
- It is a perfect destination to capture your adorable and lovely memories.
- Try a Shikara ride
- Do try sea food
“Pose with the serene beauty of the backwaters”
- Krishnapuram Palace:
Located in Kayamkulam near Alappuzha, there is a beautiful palace and a museum named as “Krishnapuram Palace”. The palace was built in a Kerala architectural style with gabled roof, narrow corridor and dormer windows. The museum has different paintings and mural painting, which is titled “Gajendra Moksham” of 154 square feet (14.3 m2) size. Visit the palace to have the glimpse of the historical beauty of paintings, know about the lives of the South Indian people. Rejuvenate your mind, body and soul.
Opening and Closing Time: · 9AM–1PM, 2–4:30PM
Address: Oachira Rd, Near Kayamkulam, Alappuza Dist, Krishnapuram, Kerala 690533, India
- Vembanad Lake:
Vembanad is one of the the longest lake in India, and the largest lake in the state of Kerala. The area of the lake is around 785 mi² and length around 59.96 mi. It is one of the best backwater tourism destinations for tourists. The lake is surrounded by coconut trees and you can just imagine the beauty of the place. The expanse is very vast and people can have lots of fun in the open air of the place. The lake is 13 km from the Kottayam railway station.
Highlights of the place
- Great sightseeing experience
- the snake boat race
- watch oarsmen
- Houseboat experience
Kuttanad is popularly known as the “rice bowl of Kerala”. The place has vast paddy fields situated in the Alappuzha and Kottayam Districts, in the state of Kerala. It is famous for producing rice from ancient times. The region is also famous for boat race in the Ramankari Backwaters. Visitors love the socio-cultural life of the place. The green paddy fields will just give you a mesmerising feeling. You will see the busy farmers engrossed in different farming activities in the field.
Highlights of the place
- Go for a boat riding
- Try the local dishes in the nearby eateries
- Experience the backwaters
- A great picnic spot
- A great place to see different birds
- Best place for photography
- Alappuzha Lighthouse:
The Alappuzha Lighthouse is another attraction in Alleppey. It is located in the coastal town of Alappuzha in Kerala. It was built in 1862 and one of the oldest lighthouse. The old architectural beauty captivates the minds and soul of visitors. The view is amazing. The lighthouse of nearly 39 m height tall with long winding staircase.
Highlights of the place
- Get some picture getting in the light house
- Great view of the Arabian Sea form the light house
- Amazing sunrise and sunset view
Explore the Religious Side of Alleppey
- Karumadi Kuttan – A Granite Idol of Lord Buddha:
Karumadi Kuttan is a famous Buddhist pilgrim centre located in Ambalapuzha in Alappuzha. The statue is one of the oldest statue around 11th century old of Lord Buddha. Discover the Buddhist religion in Karumadi Kuttan.
Opening and Closing Time: Sun – Saturday: 09:30 AM – 04:30 PM (Karumadi Kuttan is closed on Mondays)
- Discover the healing power of Lord Buddha
- Enjoy the local delicacies in local restaurants
- Ambalappuzha Sri Krishna Temple:
Ambalappuzha Sri Krishna Temple is one of the most visited places in Alleppey. It is located in 13 Km from Alleppey. Ambalappuzha is a small town in the Alappuzha district of Kerala. The place is also known as the ‘Dwaraka of the south’. The Temple has array of Mural paintings, which captivates the visitors.
Opening Closing Time: 5:30 am to 10 pm
- Go religious
- Attend the Ambalapuzha Temple Festival
- Try the Ambalapuzha Palpayasam (sweet milk porridge)
- Free Entry
- Mullakkal Bhagavathy Temple:
Located in the city of Alappuzha, Mullakkal Bhagavathy Temple is one of the great attractions in Alleppey. The temple is also known as the Mullakkal Rajarajeswari Temple and Mullakkal Bhagwati Temple. The temple is surrounded by green trees, jasmine flowers, and a pool in the campus of the temple. There is a large Banayan tree inside the temple. You will feel the heaven out there.
- Take Prasadam, the famous Prasad given to the worshippers made in the form of ‘Vada’ and is prepared by Urad dal.
- Attend the famous festival “Mullakal Chirappu Festival” held in November.
- Navaratri festival is another festival celebrated in the Temple.
- Edathua Church:
St. George Forane Church Edathua is one of the favourite attractions in Alleppey. It is located in bank of the River Pampa in Kuttanad, Alappuzha district, Kerala and 23 Km from the southeast of Alappuzha.
- Sundays: 06:00 AM, 08:00 AM, 10:00 AM and 16:00 PM
- Wednesdays: 06:00 AM and 07:00 AM
- Fridays: 04:00 PM
- Attend the annual feast
- Enjoy the great ambience of the Church during the feast which is celebrated for long 11 days
- Amazing architectural view inside the Church
- Andrew’s Basilica, Arthunkal:
St. Andrew’s Basilica, Arthunkal is also known as the St. Andrew’s Forane Church. It is located in the Arthunkal, Alappuzha district in Kerala. The Church was built by the Portuguese missionaries in the 16th century. It is believed that the place possessed magical powers to heal the body and mind. It is the first Basilica in the diocese of Alleppey and the seventh Basilica in Kerala. Pay a visit this amazing place to get other mesmerising beauty of wildlife, bird sanctuary, migratory birds and animals and more.
- Daily Mass: 5.30 am, 7 am, 4.30 pm
- Sunday: 5.30 am, 7 am, 9 am, 5pm
- Baptisms: 2nd and 4th Sundays after 9.30 am
- Sebastain Novena: Thursday 11 am, 4.30 pm
- Attend the annual feast of St. Sebastian held in January every year
- Free Entry
- Railway station is Cherthala
- Green Surroundings
- Enjoy bird watching activities
- Capture each and every moments
- World Wetlands Day is celebrated and different activities are organised for the visitors.
- Tour to the St. Mary’s Forane Church:
It is one of the oldest Churches in India. The Church is situated on the bank of the backwaters about 11 Km from Allepey. You will love the murals paintings and the sculptures in the Church. The surrounding of the Church is pretty calm and clean. Every year a huge number of visitors pay a visit to the place. The Church is one of the world-renowned centres of pilgrimage. Here people can know about the culture and lifestyle of the Christians. Apart from that, the Church is providing housings to around 2500 families.
- Visit the Church during the rainy days; it adds more beauty to the place.
- Capture the amazing architecture
- Attend the feast on the third Sunday of September, which is held twice in a year
- Participate in the festival and enjoy the amazing fireworks during the feast.
Must visited Eateries in Alleppey
Without tasting the cuisines in Alleppey, your trip is incomplete. Ty different cuisines in Alleppey from Masala Dose, Appam to Sea foods. Have a look into the famous restaurants in Alleppey.
- The Harbour Restaurant
- Kream Korner
- Dreamers Cafe and Restaurant
- Halais Restaurant
- Cafe Catamaran
- Sisir Palace
- Royale Park Hotel
- Hotel Hot Kitchen – Pure Vegetarian Restaurant
- DAD’s CAFE
- Avees Puttu House and more.
Note – Don’t forget to drink coconut water. You will get plenty of it.
Wow! Now its Shopping Time. Shopping Destination
Add this few destinations for your shopping in Alleppey.
- Floating Triveni – Floating Triveni is a floating mall in the Vembanad Lake. Happy shopping with Floating Triveni.
- Chandra Babu Shopping Complex – a supermarket where you can find all the things.
- Canal Bazaar – Famous for different spices
For more details, stay tuned to our website. If you have any query feel free to connect with us.